Under general direction, responsible for planning, researching, and developing large/major engineering projects. Leads and contributes in areas such as the design, design review, procurement, manufacture, installation, testing, and initial operation in compliance with all applicable local, state and federal regulations, requirements and standards, and all DOE orders. Estimates manpower, schedules work, coordinates and directs or manages technicians and other engineers as assigned. Reviews progress and evaluates results.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Analyzes data and performs engineering calculations. Develops designs of specific parts, components or phases of a project.
• Develops specifications, designs, and documents for major and technically complex engineering projects and design solutions. Work involves a variety of moderately complex engineering techniques.
• Plans projects from inception to completion and brings them to operating status. Estimates manpower, schedules work, coordinates and directs technicians.
• Provides technical direction to draftsmen, designers, engineering associates, technicians or less senior engineers. Coordinates and/or supervises technicians and other engineers, as assigned. May supervise an engineering/technical team or department, as assigned.
• Researches and proposes solutions to engineering problems and provides analyses of alternatives to manager(s).
• Participates in procurement, as well as manufacture, installation, testing, and operation. • Assists or leads in the development of cost estimates, as well as the monitoring and/or management of budgetary obligations.
• Reviews and approves work before hardware and financial resources are committed, ensuring conformance to specifications and cost/time constraints.
• Provides and implements changes in methods, design, or equipment in assigned area and contributes to the overall safety and completion of assignments.
• Contributes to setting lab-wide engineering policies, safety standards or technical standards. • Serves on safety panels, review committees, and other subcommittees as assigned. • May participate in technical conferences and publication.
• Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
• Abides by and is responsible for performing all duties in accordance with all environmental, health and safety regulations and practices pertinent to this position.
Minimum Required Education and Experience: Bachelor’s in an applicable Engineering discipline from an ABET accredited institution with 8+ years of engineering experience, or a Master’s or PhD in an applicable Engineering discipline from an ABET accredited institution with 6+ years of engineering experience.
Applicable Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
• Proficient in application of theories, concepts, principles, and methodology for the engineering discipline. Possess project planning skills in developing specifications and documents for major and technically complex engineering projects and engineering design solutions. Ability to perform a variety of moderately complex engineering techniques.
• Contributes effectively within a diverse workforce and upholds Fermilab’s commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion.