Superconducting Quantum Materials and Systems (SQMS) Center is seeking
candidates for a Quantum Computing Engineer position to perform experimental research in
the use of superconducting quantum systems and quantum physics, developing and validating
hardware and controls to support applications in the co-design department.
The SQMS Center was established by the National Quantum Initiative Act as a hub in a new
cooperative ecosystem built from national labs, universities, and leading companies. The
mission of the SQMS Center is to build revolutionary new quantum science platforms that
exploit superconducting radio frequency cavities and superconducting qubits for quantum
information science (QIS) in the area of quantum computing, quantum sensing and quantum
The successful candidate is expected to work closely with quantum computing researchers at
the Lab and in the larger community associated with the Superconducting Quantum Materials
and Systems (SQMS) Center. Areas of immediate interest include development of quantum
technologies based on 3D superconducting cavities, developing novel architectures for quantum
computing, integration and testing of quantum microwave systems.
As a member of the Center, the position will involve working with a multidisciplinary team,
including others who contribute expertise in materials and devices. The research will take
advantage of world-class facilities and testbeds available both at the Lab and with national and
international Center partner institutions. It will build on platforms enabled by world leading
coherence times of superconducting radiofrequency cavities to improve discovery potential.
We respect, understand, and value individual differences that embody the principles of diversity
and abide by all environment, safety, and health regulations. We believe teams are the most
successful when everyone may bring their whole selves to work. You would be joining a team
with a deeply held commitment to developing and promoting an inclusive work environment.
The appointment is for an initial term of three years extendable to a permanent position.
International candidates are welcome to apply.
- Deploy hardware and software controls for qubit characterization and readout, as well as
support scientific experiments on quantum computing testbeds
- Work hands-on on quantum testbeds
- Understand and elaborate system design of complex hardware architecture
- Design analogue conditioning circuits and digital signal processing systems
- Synthetize and efficiently analyze complex high-frequency RF signals for the
implementation of quantum gates and microwave pulses
- Automate RF measurements, data acquisition and processing on quantum computing
- Control instrumentation and analyze data using Python
- Write scientific papers, technical documents and engineering notes
- Lead design and testing efforts
We Are Looking For
- Master’s or Doctoral degree in Electronics Engineering or Physics with electronics
- Ability to effectively communicate in English with technical personnel, non-technical
personnel, and users
- Ability to solve technical problems by applying best engineering practices.
- Ability to work in team and in a multi-tasking environment
Experience in one or more of the following fields
- Python scripting, using scientific computing tools (NumPy, SciPy and Matplotlib) and
instrument control (pyVISA)
- Methods and techniques for measuring electrical signals, components parameters,
- RF laboratory equipment and measurements techniques
- Data processing and analysis
- DSP and/or DAQ systems
- Programming experience with C++ and/or LabVIEW
- FPGA programming in VHDL or Verilog
- Superconducting qubits characterization
- Cryogenic electronics
Physical Activity and Work Conditions
Human Factors: Mental Concentration, Repetitive Motion, Sitting, Tight Work Schedule, Visually
Ability to travel by commercial air carrier both domestically and internationally.
Ability to ascend and descend stairs of up to fifteen (15) flights (i.e., ~ 225 steps).
Ability to traverse uneven, slippery surfaces.
Chemical Factors: Dust, Epoxies, Solvents, Welding
Physical Factors: Confined Space, Cryogens, Oxygen Deficiency Hazard
Personal Protective Equipment: Eye/Face Protection, Foot Protection, Hand Protection
Diverse People, Diverse Jobs
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race/Color/Sex/Sexual